As part of this, YACWA works hard to ensure federal, state, and local governments consider and address the ideas, wants, and needs of young people and the youth sector that supports them. To achieve this, YACWA engages its membership to consult and gather opinions to reflect in these important discussions.
Here’s how we do it:
- Providing member-informed, evidence-based responses to all levels of government policy and debate.
- Developing ground-breaking ideas and solutions, based on the needs and experiences of young people and the youth sector.
- Maintaining open and communicative relationships with all levels of government.
- Ensuring young people and the youth sector are informed of legislative, policy and political issues affecting them.
- Educating the community about issues impacting on young people to counter negative stereotypes and foster positive dialogue.
- Working in partnership with young people to develop the advice and guidance we provide to government.
YACWA continues to fight for the views of our members and young people, to ensure they are well represented on issues affecting them.
- Responses to government processes and documents
- Youth-led and developed consultation processes to hear what matters to young people
- Representing members at meetings to provide a unified voice for the sector
- National influence and partnerships with other youth bodies across Australia.
Below is a list of current policy committees and advocacy campaigns that YACWA is involved in. See the Submissions section for formal submissions.
- Aboriginal Youth Services
- Investment Reform
- Youth Educating Peers
- Music Feedback
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network (MYAN WA)
- Home Is Where My Heart Is
- Catalyst Youth Summit
- Youth in Community Services
- Federal Budget Review 2016
- Hong Kong Youth Exchange
- Youth Homelessness Matters Day
- Shout Out
- The YEP Project
- Roofs for Youths
- Suicide Prevention
- WA Peaks Forum
- Multicultural Youth Advocacy Network WA
- Executive Group
- North East Youth Organisations Network
- Youth Health Policy Forum
- Aboriginal Youth Services Investment Reforms Implementation Leadership Group
- Aboriginal Youth Services Investment Reforms Working groups
- Housing Authority Round Table
- Youth Mental Health Sub Network
- Youth Partnership Project Executive Committee
- Mirrabooka Regional Manager’s Forum
- Geraldton Regional Manager’s Forum
- North Metro Local Government Coordination Group
- Armadale Youth Network
- Joondalup and Wanneroo Youth Services Agency Network for Youth
- CDC Youth Working party
- Commissioner for Children and Young People CALD Project Reference Group
- Department for Health Youth Mental Health Sub-Network
- Youth At-Risk Network
- Youth Mental Health Week Steering Committee
- Youth Health Policy Working Group
- Siren Network
- Kalgoorlie Youth Advisory Committee
- Cockburn Melville Fremantle Interagency Youth Forum
- Kwinana Rockingham Service Network
- WACOSS Children’s Policy Advisory Committee
- Speak Out for Change Youth Summit 2015
- Australian Association for Adolescent Health Conference 2015
- WACOSS Conference 2016
- Western Australian Mental Health Conference 2016
- The 6th University Scholars Leadership Symposium 2015
- Australian Youth Affairs Coalition
- Australian Council of Social Services
- Australian Institute of Management
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Family Planning Western Australia
- Western Australian Council of Social Services
- Community Employers of Western Australia